Membership and Borrowing Privileges
Your FREE library card allows you access to a wealth of services at the Haverhill Library and throughout the Merrimack Valley Library Consortium of over 30 libraries. Haverhill residents may borrow books, magazines, CDs, games, videos, and DVDs from our library and, in most cases, from other consortium libraries also. Your card allows you to access information about your own library account and also access a large variety of online databases from outside the library, using the Internet, including Freegal (free music downloads), OverDrive (eBooks and eAudiobooks), and Learning Express (free test prep).
Requirements for Obtaining a Library Card
- ALL library card applications require identification showing your name and correct address. ID is also required when asking staff to look up your library card number.
- Haverhill Residents: May obtain a card free of charge. Children must apply with a parent or guardian. Haverhill students in grade seven and higher may apply without a parent or guardian present.
- Other Massachusetts Residents: Must show their hometown library card. The Haverhill Public Library extends reciprocal borrowing privileges to residents of the Commonwealth who reside in communities that offer state certified library services. It is the policy of the Haverhill Public Library to discontinue borrowing privileges to residents of communities without certified public libraries and to discontinue interlibrary loans to such libraries. Some exceptions may be made when a library is not certified because of situations beyond the community’s control such as natural disaster or other mitigating circumstances as determined by the Board of Trustees.
- Haverhill Taxpayers, Business Owners, Teachers and Municipal Employees: Must show proof of special status.
- College Students: Northern Essex Community College students must verify full-time status, have student ID, and proof of their permanent address.
- Out-of-state residents: Annual $75.00 fee, valid at all area libraries, entitles you to all library services, including Interlibrary Loan.
- As outlined in the State Aid to Public Libraries Program administered by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners, the Haverhill Public Library must comply with requirements regarding use of its collection that are stated in Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 78, Section 19A B and further defined in the Code of Massachusetts Regulations (605 CMR 4.00
- For All Materials: Any use of your card is your responsibility. Please don’t let others use your card.
- Lost Library Card: If you lose your card or it is stolen, please report it to the library immediately. You are responsible for any use of the card until the library has been notified.
- Overdue Fees: Overdue fees are charged as a means to discourage the late return of materials. $.25 per item, per day, to a maximum of $10.00 total for all materials, excluding games and video’s(see below), returned at one time.
- Late Game and DVD/Video Fees: $2.00 per day, with a maximum of $10.00 per video.
- Lost Materials Fee: Current price, if still available. (If not, then a standard price which varies by the type of material.) Patrons will be required to pay overdue fees that have accrued.
- Return of Materials: ALL borrowed materials may be returned through the Automated Return book drop just outside the main entrance near the parking lot. If the book drop is full, please return borrowed materials to the library.
- Renewals: You may renew an item online, by phone or through self check. To renew online go to the library’s website: http://www.haverhillpl.org. Choose “Logon to My Account” then log in with your library card number and PIN. (Please note: the PIN is the last 4 digits of you phone number when your card was issued, unless you specified otherwise.
- Hotpicks: Duplicate copies of best sellers are only available off shelf. These books may not be reserved or renewed.
- DVDs: DVDs are checked out for a 7 day loan and may be reserved. They may only be renewed in person at the library.
- Holds: If an item we own is currently on loan to another patron, you may place it on hold either in person, over the telephone, or online using our Online Catalog. If you want an item we do not own, we will try to borrow it for you from another library. You will be notified when the item arrives at the library. Ask a staff member to place holds for you, or show you how to do it yourself.
- Suggest an Item for Purchase: The Haverhill Public Library will make every effort to purchase any materials that you request. We welcome your suggestions!